Under the Sky Blue Sea

Saturday, January 03, 2009

Staying Connected 2008

The tradition continues! Like Saf, I'm not sure where this year has gone by - it flew. Its been a good year for the most part, one in which I did many new things.

I travelled abroad for the first time - England, Scotland, Ireland - which was fabulous. I have now been bitten by the travel bug, and want to continue to go and explore the world. I'd love to go back to see more of Ireland & Scotland (and perhaps Stonehenge in England, hmm...), as well as Italy, the south of France, Germany, and whatever else comes along. Pictures of the 2008 trip can be found here, if interested.

I moved in November, which in and of itself isn't a new activity - but the location and roommate were new territory. I moved to Mississauga, and into Ian's townhouse, which was an exciting leap. :) Things are continuing to go wonderfully in that regard, I'm very happy in my new home (please come visit! We have a Wii! haha). Another bonus is that it has cut my commute time in half (an hour door to door, down from 2+ each way) - not quite downtown living, but not too far away from it either.

I have been somewhat dissatisfied with my job situation this past year - early in the year, I found that I was getting bored and restless with my current job, that I had gone about as far as I could go in it. I was watching job boards, and applied for a few positions but not really expecting much to come of it. Well, something did, and I was offered a new job! I was excited to learn something new, and was able to arrange things so that the new job started after I returned from my UK trip, which was a nice break between the two. Unfortunately, as it turns out, although I am learning new things, I've found that I'm not really all that interested in what it is my current department does. Their goals & main focus are not something that I want to be involved in long term, I would like to re-join the academic side of the university again. So, I'm not loving my job, but am keeping an ear to the ground and trying to make the most of the experience. People keep asking me what my 'dream job' is/would be, and I don't have a clue yet ... still working on that. But getting a sense of what it is not! C'est la vie.

I'm not really one for New Year's resolutions, but I would like to make it a goal to become more fit this year. I tend to be lazy, and need a bit of a push to get started, but I'd like to create some better habits. I have been thinking about starting to run (with coaching, lol), and possibly cycling (I have been told I will be getting a new bike this year, that the one I got when I was 13 or so just doesn't cut it anymore). I got the Wii Fit for Christmas, which I am enjoying using - I know its not the most comprehensive workout, but its fun - and some of the games can defintely get your heart rate up!

Overall, 2008 was a pretty good year - was able to wrap up some loose ends, see a sister get married (after being together for 8 years!), had lots of friends become parents, and travel the world a bit. I hope that 2009 continues with more of the same, and that you all remain healthy, happy, and in touch! And we'll see how the search for the elusive 'dream job' goes ....

Love,
C

PS - Tulip, I had a dream about you the other night! You came to visit me at a wedding (not my own, I was a guest, as were you - although neither of us really seemed to know the couple all that well, lol). And then the next day I saw your post - it was a bit freaky. Doing special ed work sounds awesome, I know its hard work though. Do you know if 2009 will bring you back to the frigid north for a visit? I am jealous of your beachy lifestyle.... :) (Yes, this probably could have been a comment on your blog, but I'm in the zone here. I haven't written here since April!)

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • yaaahhh!!!
    a blog from C!
    it's good to hear what's going on with you. I'm glad you got to travel - sounds like a wonderful time!
    I'm glad you cut your commute in half (and found a wonderful, Wii playing roommate (wink)).

    I am hoping that 2009 will bring me back to visit in the cold, we'll see what happens...maybe you and I can crash a wedding then and make your dream come true!

    I hope you stay in the blogging zone. I'm looking forward to reading (and writing) more blogs this year.

    here's to exciting leaps - be they over the ocean, into the ocean, or into uncharted territory!

    May the new year be beautiful.

    love, tulip

    By Blogger Tulip, at 1/06/2009 3:49 PM  

  • i am so happy to hear an update from you c. i'm sure you'll find your niche in terms of a job - it just takes time. and i am delighted to hear your plans to get fit this year! sometimes brilliant ideas come to us in the middle of a workout (especially running).

    take care and hi to ian for me :)

    xoxo
    S

    By Blogger sappho, at 1/11/2009 2:07 PM  

  • I love reading these posts... and I hope you do start running--I absolutely fell in love with it this year!! A word of advice--give it at least 3 weeks to a month of regular running until you decide if you like it!! I haaaaaaaaaated it when I started it because it was hard and it hurt, and then one day I woke up and loved it. :)

    By Blogger Shop Girl*, at 1/25/2009 11:12 PM  

  • Excellent! I'm glad to see we're on track here. C you've beat us all!!!!

    I've resurrected my old Blogger blog so you'll find my post on there as soon as I have a few minutes to write it!!!

    By Blogger kjane, at 1/01/2010 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home