Under the Sky Blue Sea

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Staying Connected - 2007

A few days late, I realize .. but better late than never. Happy New Year!

I'm never very good at these year-end wrap up things (tend to forget lots!), but here goes...

Work
I had a good year in terms of work, and finally got officially hired as 'permanent'- yay! The best part of my job is my coworkers, it feels like I'm going in everyday to hang out with my friends (and maybe do some work stuff in between). I'm very lucky, I know, and thankful for them - we like each other so much, we frequently spend time outside of work together too (even as temporary roommates, in one case!).

Travel
I did get to travel this year quite a bit, if not the European explorations that I was originally envisioning (still on the list... ). Caribbean cruise in February, wedding in San Diego in June, and Nova Scotia in July - I got around, got to see some new sights (and warmer ones too!).

Christmas Stuff
Going back to some of the original topic suggestions posted... yes, we still do stockings, and we generally open them first, and all together. Then we open presents from youngest to oldest (although it used to flip sometimes - didn't much matter to me, I always fall in the middle between parents & siblings), its generally been from the bottom up. My mom mixed up the stockings this year for the first time ever, and reversed the contents of my sister's stockings, which was amusing. Catherine's stocking is handmade by my grandmother, but hers is the only one. They're all different. I think mine was a gift to me the year I was born, red with white trim, and a green pocket in the front with a teddy bear inside (who would stay up and watch for Santa for me). Catherine's has a pocket on the front as well, with a little deer statue inside, because she wanted one like mine, apparently.

Dinner was relatively small for us this year, just 12 people (which seems huge to most people I tell this too ...but we are used to closer to 20). It was good, always nice to enjoy the food and spend time together. We generally have Christmas crackers at dinner, wear the hats and read the silly fortunes and play with the toys.

Other
I discovered Heroes this year ... excellent show. Although good to watch on dvd, annoying to wait week to week (so many storylines, I forget whats going on). I'm sad that I don't have new Grey's to watch, although this season has been kind of meh, but was getting better - but overall, I really don't mind the writers strike, I'm just as happy not to feel like I 'have' to watch anything on TV.

More books! I discovered Douglas Coupland this year, and he is hilarious and awesome (and Canadian, even better).

2007 was a pretty good year overall ... here's hoping this continues in 2008!

2 Comments:

  • Douglas Coupland, huzzah! Did you read jPod? Hilarious. I am skeptical of the upcoming tv show, but I'm sure the saving grace will be Alan Thicke :).

    By Blogger Will answer to many names, at 1/04/2008 10:28 PM  

  • sounds like a good year, c :) am happy a/b the job & of course, that your xmas holidays were good! cute stockings, too. any chance we could get a picture?
    xoxo
    s

    By Blogger sappho, at 1/08/2008 5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home