Under the Sky Blue Sea

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Brought to You By the Letter "M"

A friend of my sister's had been planning her birthday party for awhile - actually a joint birthday party for herself and another girl. They chose a day that fell in the middle of their birthdays (today), and decided for a theme, they would choose the letter "M", which falls in the middle of the alpahbet between their initals (H & S). And as part of the theme, everyone would have to come in a costume that began with the letter M.

My sister decided to go as the character Madeline, from the children's book, and was able to pull together a very accurate costume over a couple of weeks. She had the dress (well, a shirt that worked as a dress), the jacket, the little red scarf, the hat, and black shoes ... it looked really good, and she had a little picture from the book that she brought to show people.

I was invited at the last minute, over dinner tonight - and since I wasn't doing anything else, I decided why not. I knew the one birthday girl, and few of my sisters other friends. But what to wear for a costume? What to pull together in a half hour or so? After tossing around a few ideas (muse, maid, mouse), I mentioned that I'm always looking for a reason to wear my funky dolphin pants - so the idea of going as a 'marine biologist' was born, as the pants have dolphins painted on the legs.

So the pants, a black top, black heels (eek!), a seashell necklace, pink flower for my hair, and the finishing touch - a stethoscope to wear around my neck (you know - in case there was a sick dolphin, or something). Worked out pretty good for a thrown together costume, I thought.

Other people came as - a mechanic, Martha Stewart, a millionaire's wife, a magician & magician's assistant, Mardi Gras attender, Mary-Kate Olsen, a miner, Maple Leaf's fans, a mafia don, a Mexican, Eminem, a muscleman/bodybuilder... very creative, most of them! Snacks served included meatballs, M&Ms, mini pizzas, a marshmallow mountain covered in M&Ms and Mini-Eggs, and margaritas.

I didn't really know many people there, as they were mostly people who had gone to high school with my sister, but was able to strike up conversations with a couple of people. Half watched the hockey game which was on (I never watch normally), then drove my sister and a few others over to the bar where the party migrated to and came home. I had a good time, something different to do on a Saturday night ... and the dolphin pants got to come out to play!

5 Comments:

  • Glad to hear the dolphin pants came out to play. Why on earth would you own a stethoscope? Did you bring your rectal thermometer, too, just in case? =)

    By Blogger Nebulaura, at 4/08/2007 7:24 PM  

  • Sounds fun. :) I think I would have gone as the letter M...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/09/2007 3:10 PM  

  • mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    dolphin pants & m&m's :)

    By Blogger sappho, at 4/10/2007 12:28 PM  

  • That sounds like a mmmmmarvellous party. Really.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/12/2007 11:34 PM  

  • Someone did come as the letter M! It was also suggested to me afterwards that I could have gone as a 'Maui tourist' with the same outfit (perhaps minus the stethoscope).

    Why is a stethoscope such a strange thing to own? We've always had one around the house, haven't you?

    By Blogger C, at 4/17/2007 9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home